Macaroni Salad: A Hawaiian Inspiration
Creamy mayo and vinegar dressing coat these plump macaroni. Begin a few hours in advance for maximum flavor.
- 4 cups mayonnaise separated
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 16 ounces large elbow macaroni
- 5 green onions trimmed and finely minced (plus more to garnish)
- 2 large carrots peeled and shredded
Prepare the Macaroni Salad Dressing
In a large bowl, stir together 2 1/2 cups of mayonnaise, the apple cider vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, salt, and white pepper until smooth. Store the remaining mayonnaise in the refrigerator until ready to use. Refrigerate until ready to use. This dressing may be made 24 hours ahead.
Cook the Macaroni
In a large stock pot, bring a gallon of water to a rapid boil over medium-high heat.
Once the water begins to boil, season it with 2 tablespoons of kosher salt. Stir in the macaroni and cook for 11 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Once the cooking time has elapsed, drain the pasta in a colander and give it a quick rinse under cold running water to slow down the cooking process. Allow the pasta to cool for a 5 minutes.
Because it does have a mayonnaise-based dressing, the macaroni salad should be kept refrigerated or stored on ice. Keep it out of direct sunlight if you're serving it at an outdoor function.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked ham (or other cooked protein) chopped
- 3 large hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup sweet peas, boiled and chilled
Calories: 659kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 57g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 736mg | Potassium: 159mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2103IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg