Adobo All-Purpose Seasoning
Prepare your own all-purpose, all-cuisine seasoning salt with just a few ingredients. Variations included- see notes.
Servings 96 half-teaspoons
Add the salt and oregano leaves to a mortar and pestle and grind the salt down until it is the same consistency (size) as the granulated garlic.
Transfer the salt-oregano mixture to a mixing bowl and add the garlic, onion powder, black pepper, turmeric, and cumin.
Use a small whisk to blend the spices together into a uniform mixture.
Transfer the finished Adobo seasoning to a glass container using a funnel. Cover the seasoning with a tight-fitting lid and store in a cool, dark area of the kitchen.
A typical serving of Adobo is a 1/2 teaspoon, but use as desired.
Adobo Flavor Varieties:
Blue Top (Original):
- omit the black pepper and ground cumin
Red Top (without Cumin):
Green Top (with More Cumin):
- add an additional (1) teaspoon of cumin
Orange Top (with Bitter Orange):
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne powder (add less for less spicy Adobo)
Orange Sazon Adobo:
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons Accent flavor enhancer (MSG)
- add 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- add 1 teaspoon ground annatto
Yellow Top (with Lemon Pepper):
Light Blue Top (Reduced Sodium) with or without pepper:
- decrease salt to 2 tablespoons
- add 1 teaspoon lemon powder
- without pepper: omit the black pepper in the original recipe
Adobo con Azafrán (with Saffron):
Calories: 1kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 295mg | Potassium: 6mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg