How to Make Achiote Oil
Make this staple condiment in Hispanic and Caribbean cuisines easily. Store for up to one year.
Servings 16 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups (350 ml) olive oil or similar neutral-tasting oil
- 2 cloves garlic smashed, optional
- 1/2 cup (80 grams) annatto seeds (achiote)
- Optional flavorings include: dried herbs, peppers, and/or whole spices.
- Achiote seeds and oil stains badly. Be sure to use metal or glass equipment or utensils to prepare the oil.
- Achiote oil will keep for up to one year at room temperature.
- The oil can be frozen, but it is not recommended. Avoid refrigerating the oil as it reduces the shelf-life.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 1mg