Sweet Potato Puree for Cooking and Baking
Make this ahead and freeze to use in all of your cooking and baking recipes.
Servings 7 cups
- 5 pounds (2 kilograms) sweet potatoes washed and dried
- cooking oil for drizzling over the potatoes
Roast the Sweet Potatoes
Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).Arrange the cleaned, dry sweet potatoes on sheetpan and drizzle them lightly with olive or vegetable oil. Rub the oil over the sweet potatoes to coat them evenly. Poke the potatoes all over with the tines of a fork.Slide the sheetpan into the pre-heated oven and roast the potatoes for 45 minutes- 1 hour. (Depending on your sweet potatoes' size, you may even need to roast them for as long as 1 hour and 15 minutes.)When ready, a knife should slide in and out of the thickest part of a potato, meeting no resistance at all. Remove the pan of sweet potatoes from the oven before laying a clean kitchen towel over the pan of potatoes to steam and cool them simultaneously. Once you can handle the spuds peel the skins off using your fingers. Discard the peel and return the potatoes to the sheetpan.Continue with the remaining sweet potatoes they're all peeled.
- Divide the sweet potato puree into 8-ounce portions using a measuring cup. Then transfer the measured puree into food storage bags or into food containers. Seal the bags (or containers) and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Refrigerate or freeze the sweet potato puree for up to 7 days.
- To freeze: pack the puree in freezer storage bags. Don't forget to label and date the bags. After sealing the bags and pressing out as much of the air as possible, freeze the puree lying flat. After they have frozen solid, stand them up in the freezer to conserve space.
- Sweet potato puree freezes beautifully for up to 4 months. To use it, just thaw it under refrigeration until soft. Strain off any excess water by pressing the puree in a nutbag or clean tea towel.
Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 178mg | Potassium: 1092mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 45965IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 2mg