Classic Hot Toddy
This classic warm libation is easy to make and soothing on cold winter nights.
Servings 2 servings
- 2 1/2 cups (591 milliliters) water
- 3 3" cinnamon sticks plus more for garnish
- 2 star anise
- 1" piece ginger sliced in 1/4-inch thick coins
- 1 medium lemon juiced, rinds reserved
- 4 tablespoons (84 grams) honey plus more to taste
- 3 ounces (89 milliliters) Irish whiskey
Make the Spice Tea
In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the water, cinnamon sticks, star anise, ginger, and lemon rinds to a rolling boil.
Once the water has boiled for 2 minutes, turn off the heat and allow the spices to steep in the water for 5 minutes.
Remove the spices from the water using a fine mesh sieve. Discard the spices.
- Make the spice tea as instructed and allow it to cool completely after steeping.
- Transfer the tea to a mason jar and store it in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- To use: reheat the tea in the microwave until steaming.
- Add the lemon juice, whiskey, and honey to a mug per the recipe and top with the tea.
Kid-Friendly Hot Toddy:
- Omit the Irish whiskey in the recipe.
- All other ingredients remain the same.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 18mg | Potassium: 75mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg