Rainbow Carrots in Tarragon Brown Butter
This quick and easy dish is the perfect accompaniment for your holiday meals.
Servings 4 people
- 2 pounds rainbow carrots , peeled and trimmed
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 stems (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) tarragon de-stemmed and minced plus more to garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat your oven to 425°F, then lightly grease a half sheet pan with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
Turn your chef's knife (or the carrot) 45° and chop the carrots into 2" thick slices. Place the carrot slices onto the sheet pan- in a single layer without crowding the pan- and roast them for 25-45 minutes, or until they are fork-tender and slightly charred.
While the carrots are roasting, prepare the brown butter.In a saucepan, over low heat, slowly melt the butter, stirring constantly.
Once the butter solids (at the bottom of your pan) begin to take on a golden brown color, remove the pan from the heat.
Quickly toss in the minced tarragon, salt, and pepper and stir to season the butter.
Once the carrots have fully roasted, remove the pan from the oven. Pour the tarragon brown butter over them and use a spoon to toss the two together thoroughly.
After tossing the carrots in the tarragon brown butter, return the pan to the warm oven and allow them to heat back up, if you're going to serve them a bit later, or garnish and serve them straight-away while still hot.
These carrots may be kept refrigerated for up to three days. Serve cold, or reheat until warmed through.
- If you can't locate rainbow carrots, orange carrots may be substituted.
- Don't to rush the browning of the butter. It's not recommended to brown the butter ahead of time as reheating it (to melt it) may cause the butter solids to burn.
If you must make it slightly ahead of time (and the butter solidifies), don't melt it before tossing into the carrots. Let the residual heat from the carrots melt the butter when you toss the two together.
- When making the brown butter, if you accidentally overcook the butter to a very dark brown, throw it away and begin again, or the end result will taste acrid.
Calories: 97kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 738mg | Potassium: 741mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 37910IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 1mg