Pumpkin Cream Cheese Slow Cooker French Toast Casserole
Begin this recipe the night before you plan to serve it.
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (or 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree)
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice blend
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, divided
- 1 pound loaf day-old brioche bread (or challah), cut into 1" cubes
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, cut into 1/2" cubes
To Serve (Optional)
- pure maple syrup
- powdered sugar
- sweetened whipped cream
Prepare the Pumpkin Custard
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, Pumpkin Spice Blend, lemon zest, and salt. Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl and whisk until smooth. Finally, add the half-and-half and 1 tablespoon of the melted butter to the bowl and whisk everything together until smooth.
Assemble and Soak the Pumpkin Cream Cheese French Toast Casserole
add the stir-ins when layering the bread and cream cheese
When baking this Pumpkin Cream Cheese French Toast casserole in the oven:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 12 oz white or dark chocolate chips
To serve refrigerated leftovers: reheat in the microwave until warmed through.
For the frozen leftovers: thaw completely under refrigeration before reheating thoroughly in the microwave.
- place your baking dish into the oven before preheating. Allowing the dish to heat slowly- while the oven is coming up to baking temperature- will prevent the shattering of ceramic (or glass) baking dishes
- bake the casserole at 350°F for 45 minutes- covered in aluminum foil. Uncover and bake and additional 15 minutes
- the internal temperature of your baked casserole should be 165°F
Calories: 547kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 282mg | Sodium: 599mg | Potassium: 433mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 11827IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 214mg | Iron: 5mg